Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Moose Encounters

We have had a couple of close encounters with moose in the past few weeks.  It is an amazing thing to look out the window and see these huge animals walking through the neighborhood!  




These pictures - of a momma and her two babies - were taken one night after supper...the sun was going down, so the lighting wasn't very good, but you can still get a good feel for the size of these creatures. 











On this night we learned about the different techniques for getting moose to leave your yard.  The most effective seems to be beating a frying pan with a wooden spoon.  Yelling at them didn't work very well.  And sending the dogs out to chase them is supposed to work well too.  It was quite funny hearing all the pans clanging around the neighborhood.








Then, about a month later - when I was home alone, of course! - the dogs started barking like crazy.  I ran to the window and saw a small moose hanging out in the back yard eating cranberries.  He wandered around a little and then left the yard. 





Maggie and Molly glued to the window...they were dying to get outside after that moose!

Later in the day I returned to the house from running errands, and look who was there to greet me:


My moose friend had returned with his momma and sister...and they were feasting on the bushes!  So, being a good house guest, I knew what my job was: to keep that moose from stripping the leaves off of the trees and bushes.  So, I headed outside - with the iPad (so I could take some pictures) and a pan and wooden spoon.


Let's just say that the momma moose was NOT impressed with my pan-beating skills!





But thankfully, they finally wandered away without doing too much damage to the plants.


No comments:

Post a Comment